MAG Trucks began upfitting used step vans for Independent Service Providers over a decade ago, and continues to stock the largest selection of reconditioned step vans in the nation. When deciding between the purchase of a new and used step van, there are several comparisons to consider, including price, warranty, and ISP upfitting standards.
Procedure of Upfitting Used Step Vans for Independent Service Providers (ISP)
Not all step van dealers are created equal. In fact, only a select few have the certifications and approval processes in place to bring used step vans to meet ISP standards. Let's take a look at how MAG Trucks does this, and why MAG continues to offer the largest selection.
First, the process begins with the truck. MAG buys fleets of used step vans from verified off lease programs. The use of the trucks in their previous lifetime can range from linen and medical delivery trucks, to delivery route and beverage trucks. With our vast knowledge and extensive experience in the used truck industry, MAG Trucks is confident in knowing what to look for when purchasing step van fleets. The ability to purchase in large quantities essentially drives down our internal costs, consequently passing those savings on to independent contractors.
Second, every unit goes through the same inspection process when MAG Trucks modifies used Trucks. The process is standard and as follows:
- Once delivered, all used step vans will be checked in by one of our trained and licensed production team members.
- All step vans have a road drive test performed.
- The units are plugged into the computer for diagnosis.
- Based on the issues that arise, the step vans are not only mechanically repaired back to DOT standards, but also above and beyond to ISP standards.
Third, as we continue to explain how MAG Trucks modifies Used Trucks to meet ISP Standards, it’s important to understand the stringency of ISP guidelines for used Independent Contractor trucks. MAG modifies our trucks to the ISP standards, ensuring the Independent contractors are ready to hit the road without any issues once they purchase the truck. Every truck leaves the manufacturing floor looking like brand new. We stand behind our product – if a used step van needs to be reskinned, we will reskin it.
Every truck that is outfitted in our shop will receive the following:
- Gets the current paint blasted off and repainted Custom ISP White
- ISP Shelving
- Brand new full color back up camera
- Fire extinguisher
- Safety triangles
- Jump seat
- Sliding locking bulk head
- Install your decals (optional)
Fourth, because Independent contractors have tight schedules, which allow for little to no downtime, MAG offers a nationwide delivery service for your convenience. Our fully insured professional staff of drivers can deliver your step vans within days of production being completed.
New Step Vans obviously carry a higher price tag than the used options. New step vans range from $50,000 – $80,000, depending on several factors, which we will discuss below.
- Full factory warranty – bumper to bumper
- Reduced down time (brand new vehicle, so essentially nothing should go wrong)
- No previous vehicle maintenance history
- Brand new – essentially zero miles
- Finance term is longer
- Potentially lower finance rates on new step vans
- Nationwide delivery from MAG Trucks
- Cost (but with the higher price tag comes owner peace of mind that the truck is covered under warranty, and should have few issues to begin with)
- Potential lead time of receiving a new step van
- If an issue arises, a disadvantage could be dealing with OEM and the certified service department’s lead time
- If your maintenance hubs for warranty work are not within your immediate area, you may have to travel to reach one.
USED STEP VANS
Used Step Vans are a most cost-conscious options, as the price range is between $20,000 – $40,000. See the pros and cons listed below.
- Cost (lower cost upfront)
- 3rd party warranty options
- MAG Trucks is a preferred trusted vendor
- Better chance for finance approval due to the lower principal amount
- MAG Trucks offers nationwide delivery
- More variety for maintenance hubs
- Faster turnaround time, as MAG Trucks has a lot of used truck options
- View inventory and truck specific truck information online
- Unsure of potential vehicle maintenance history
- Purchase of the step van does not include a factory warranty
- Niche market, resulting in harder to find used step vans
- Financing will typically be shorter terms
If warranty is a concern, we should put you at ease with our warranty. All certified units come with 12 month/100k mile engine only warranties, however we offer up to 24 month/200k engine/transmission/drive train warranty.
As you spend some time comparing new and used step vans, make sure you have a list of what you value as the most important factors. Does price rank? Is reduction of down time critical? Is maintenance hub proximity critical? Is turnaround time? The MAG Trucks website has all of our new and used step vans available to browse. Give us a call and speak with our team - 800-888-4614.